Upgrading old IBM 386/486 - hard drive problem

Never again 14:06 14 May 2003

I am having a go upgrading an old pc given to a friend which only had a scsi 170mb hard drive.

I have a redundant 630 mb ide drive which obviously does not fit the scsi ribbon cable. I cant see any other suitable connector on the motherboard - only a smallish one for the a: drive and this has a spare connector which is is 2 pins short of the hard drive connector.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

He also wants a cd drive fitted as well - so do I have to look for a scsi cd drive?

Gongoozler 16:20 14 May 2003

If you have a spare PCI slot, you can probably use a PCI IDE card such as the Maxtor one from Dabs. this should also overcome the BIOS hard drive size limitation: click here

The following link to the relevant Maxtor knowledgebase article may work if it doesn't get corrupted by conversion to a "Click here"

click here*&p_li=

an old 386 wont have any pci slots, you will need to track down an ide card as gongoozler says but for an ISA slot, buying one new would cost a ridiculously large amount of money, try tracking down a second hand one,

for the money and trouble involved you had just as well buy an old P1(586) that will set you back about 50 quid , which will probably have a larger hard drive and a cd-rom, i hate throwing things away but sometimes its just not viable to keep hanging on. H

Never again 07:16 15 May 2003

Thanks for the advice - I'll let my friend know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)