Upgrading Office 2003 to XP

Chris the Ancient 13:10 26 Sep 2008

We won't go into too many details, but for a while I had Office 2003 on my pc because following a full reformat, I couldn't find my original discs of Office XP Developer Pro (moved home). Research has shown the the Office 2003 I bought and used was not a full, legitimate copy!

I have located my original Office XP Developer Pro discs (not been used anywhere else in the meantime) that were originally bought by me (all legitimate and registered/activated by me when I first installed it). And I would rather have the real thing on my PC than an 'iffy' older version.

Before I just go leaping in and trying to load the 'proper' discs, are then any pitfalls?

Will I cope all right with re-activation of my 'proper' version? The pc is still the same, original one.

Will be out for a while this afternoon - but will be back in later.

TIA

CtA

PO79 13:17 26 Sep 2008

I suggest you completely remove the 2003 version, then re-install the XP version. Should activate without problems, but a quick call to MS via the freehone number will get it activated if you encounter a problem.

Chris the Ancient 13:28 26 Sep 2008

Thought that might be the case.

I've heard of some people having troubles removing Office 2003 completely. Any hints?

CtA

Chris the Ancient 13:29 26 Sep 2008

I do have Revo Uninstaller - if that helps.

birdface 13:30 26 Sep 2008

It should activate ok providing that you still have the keycode.I always ran it without internet connection and never ever had any problems doing it that way.

Sea Urchin 13:33 26 Sep 2008

Maybe some help for uninstalling

click here

Chris the Ancient 13:57 26 Sep 2008

buteman...

I'm ok there. I still have the keycode (phew!).

Sea Urchin...

Useful looking link. I shall try that. Thanks.

CtA

Chris the Ancient 14:09 26 Sep 2008

Another thought...

I use outlook for my emails.

Will using the Export feature and making the file called 'savedbackup.pst' be enough to keep all my folders and emails to load into Outlook XP?

Chris the Ancient 10:43 27 Sep 2008

Coz I'm worried about email back up.

What is the safest way to make sure I don't lose them all?

CtA

Switcher 11:13 27 Sep 2008

Import them all into outlook express. Then import them back into outlook once you have re-installed office.

Chris the Ancient 11:20 27 Sep 2008

Trying that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?