Upgrading from non-HT P4 to an HT CPU

Dennis Goycoolea 21:09 17 Apr 2005

Here is what I did:

I have a Intel D865GLC Windows XP machine running a P4 (non hyperthreading), and have upgraded it to a newer P4 with hyperthreading. HT is enabled in the bios on the board, but initially the OS didn't realise I was running an HT processor. E.g. task manager only shows one CPU. I expected the OS to realise an HT processor was in use, and switch to a kernel that supported HT.

What I did was a 'repair' install of XP, taking the OS back to a pre-SP1 level and requiring many many updates. Along the way the multiprocessor NT kernel was installed.

So, does anyone know of an easy way to update Windows so it uses the HT processor properly?

I don't want to do the repair-reinstall again because it's so time-consuming, it takes just as long as a fresh install. On a Linux machine I can just install an SMP kernel and boot it, so ideally I'd like something similar for NT. I guess what I hypothetically want to do is swap the NT uniprocessor kernel for the multiprocessor kernel, but I can't find a way of doing this that works - I've tried these instructions (click here) but Windows BSODs on boot.

Cheers,

Dennis

TomJerry 21:16 17 Apr 2005

I replaced AMD CPU with P4 with HT together with motherboard. XP Pro (sp2) recognised it automatically.

smokingbeagle 21:54 17 Apr 2005

This worked on W2000. Control Panel / System / Device Manager / Computer then force it load (select from list) drivers for ACPI multi-processor.

Dennis Goycoolea 00:01 18 Apr 2005

Yep - you change the HAL on the machine, like this article suggests: click here

But it doesn't work on Windows XP; there was no option to change the HAL as the only selectable choice was the 'Standard PC' (uniprocessor) one.

Dennis

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?