Upgrading my system for gaming

Will 16:29 01 Jun 2008

I hve decided to upgrade my system for gaming which will probably mean a rebuild when you see the spec below. I have been thnking abut it for a while and used to do it all myself but looking into it now there is the od further option. So the first question is for a gaphics card do you get a MB with a PCIE nowadays? The Graphics cards for PCIE seem cheaper? I prefer and AMD CPU, it is what I am used to. I am looking to put together the best package for about £400. So far I have looked at a motherboard bundle, an Athlon dual core. Anybody got any advice please.
Here is my present system:
Motherboard MSI MS-6702 1.0
BUS 200
CPU AMD Athlon 64 2.00 gigahertz
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600XT
RAM x 512 MB
PSU ATX 400 WIN Power Max Output 400W

Will 16:54 01 Jun 2008

so the question should have been AGP Port or PCIE?

Ditch999 17:32 01 Jun 2008

If you are looking to upgrade you can reckon on a new mobo, cpu, DDR2 ram, 550Watt psu and PCIe graphics card.
At the moment I would not go for AMD and instead go the Intel route. The are better value for money at the minute and their performance is better.
This topic is regularly discussed and opinions vary but when you add in the cost of a new OS then it is roughly the same price to buy a new base unit.
If you get a new base unit you also have the advantage of having a second PC which you can use or sell on to someone else.

citadel 17:43 01 Jun 2008

have a look at chillblast.com and consider a base unit. the fusion panther has one of the latest 8200 cpu's pre overclocked to 3.4 and a 9600gt card.

Ditch999 17:57 01 Jun 2008

BTW What games are you talking about?
Solitaire or Crysis?

Will 20:34 01 Jun 2008

thanks very much, that helps alot and yes I would hope to run Crysis

Ditch999 23:31 01 Jun 2008

Well for Crysis your graphics card will have to be a good one!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?