Upgrading my PC/ Problem with current pc

jay112200 22:45 10 Feb 2014

Hello, Recently i overclocked my pc with very little knowledge on how to do so, and i slightly changed the voltages, this was very silly of me as i had no idea what i was doing. Ever since i started having problems, just after i overclocked my screen wouldnt work anymore, it just said 'no connection' or something like that. Then after getting it to work by taking a cd drive out of the pc, the pc turned off and did not restart after that, it does not boot up atall. I have checked to see if the motherboard has fried but two green little lights glow when i plug the cable in. However when i press the on button it does not work atall.

I think it is a problem with my CPU because i tried to overclock it. I have tried multiple things such as unplugging everything, discharging, taking the pc apart, and re plugging everything in. I just cannot get it to work.

Now what i think might work is if i change my CPU, buy another better one (the one i currently have is quite old) and see if it works. I need to upgrade my pc anyway because i would like to start gaming. Along with buying a CPU i would also like to buy a new graphics card and more RAM.

My current pc specs are (cannot remember off the top of my head) M3A78-VM Motherboard 2GB RAM On board graphics Dual core 2.66GHZ CPU (cant remember exactly)

I am aware this is quite a bad pc, which is why i would like to upgrade, however i have only have £150 to spare and i am thinking to upgrade to:

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3 GHz Quad-Core Processor

Add another 2GB of DDR2 RAM (to total 4GB)

GTX 630 2gb graphics card OR AMD Radeon HD 6670 (please advise me which is better for gaming)

This will total me to about £141-145

I would like to play games like skyrim on normal-high setting with good fps and Day Z.

I was just wondering if buy buying these components it would make my pc work?

Or do i have to do something else? like purchase a new motherboard. I only have £150 to spend (which isn't a lot i know but i'm a student with not much money)

Thanks for any help sorry it was long.

Jollyjohn 10:49 11 Feb 2014

I think your problem is power supply related - double check all connections to motherboard especially power and reset switches.

Have a look at 3000rpm.com - under systems and upgrade bundles. I know this shop is in Dundee but I am sure there will be a similar shop local to you. If you buy a bundle it will all work together!

You don't mention what OS you are using but if it is a 323bit OS there is no point in going above 3GB RAM as the system cannot utilise it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?