Upgrading motherboard

RedYelBlu 04:09 08 Apr 2008

Hi, I going to up grade my PC to a Duo E8500 CPU and new m/b.
I have on my m/b 2 x hdd's and cd and dvd drives connected to 2 IDE sockets.
I have noticed that most of the new m/b's only have 1 IDE sockets and lots of SATA sockets. So it looks as if I will have to replace the hdd's with 2 SATA ones, and connect the cd/dvd drives to the IDE socket.
Im hoping I can transfer data and programs from the ATA hdd by connecting it to the IDE socket' and connect the new SATA hdd to a SATA socket, then clone the hdd. Then install the new SATA hdd's.
I have heard theres problems with Win XP when its moved on to another hdd or mother board.
Can any one confirm this and is there any reason why I cannot clone the SATA hdd this way. Thanks.

keef66 10:49 08 Apr 2008

If your copy of windows is OEM it's tied to the original motherboard and will fail validation when moved to a new one. You can phone Microsoft to see if they'll let you do it, but I think they have tightened up on this.
If it's a retail copy of Windows you'll be fine.

I am not sure if simply cloning your HDD will work since you're swapping the mobo at the same time.

You could get new SATA optical drives instead and attach your current HDD's to the IDE socket (cheaper but slower option)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?