upgrading the motherboard

Fred the flour grader 14:19 07 Nov 2003

I wonder if anybody can give me a bit of advice. I am currently using pentium 3 450mhz PC which is about four years old. Dec issue of PC Advisor p171 shows (ready to instali Athlonxp1800 Motherboard kit) I am thinking of taking this route to upgrade rather than splash out on a new PC. over the past couple of years have added extra RAM, CD Rewriter and 80gb 2nd hard drive.
When I bought the PC I thought the processor speeds were easy to understand IE the faster the number the quicker it goes. I have never took that much intrest in AMD chips as mine is a Pentium, a lot of stuff I read is saying the AMD is superior for the cost but the code numbers are not relevant to the speed. IE an wp1800+ =1.53Ghz.
If I wanted to buy the separate components Processor, heatsink, fan and motherboard whats the best way to determine what goes with what? any help appreciated, thanks

DieSse 14:26 07 Nov 2003

Some factors you need to take into account

- the existing RAM may be the wrong type for the new motherboard

- you will probably need a larger capacity power supply, if you haven't already fitted one

- if you get a complete new tower, you can always swap across the CD-writer and new second hard drive - and you then still have a complete saleable system, to offset the extra cost of buying a complete new tower. There may also be a warranty benefit too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)