upgrading from ME or buy new

summeris2 01:57 16 Feb 2007

Hi eveyone (new member)

I have an imedia6200 packard bell computer which runs windows me. speed is 850mtz.
My wife has started a new clait course which involes working on word,excel,acces,etc.
They use professional 2000 i think.
My computer is'nt set up for this, i think upgrade would be too expensive, if possible.
Can any one give me some advice on what system would be good enough for me to buy, do i have to buy more software.
Any help please

^wave^ 07:59 16 Feb 2007

i would buy new and now is a good time to get a machine with xp. if all you want is some word processing and spreadsheets and internet access then buy a cheap xp machine. yes you will need an office program. depending on what type of work you need to do you may not havee to go down the microsoft route. see this months pc advisor for alternatives.

Taff™ 08:24 16 Feb 2007

Is it this one? click here Download Belarc Advisor click here and run it. Post back with the size of HDD & Amount of free space, RAM memory installed.

If it is Windows ME I can see no reason why it can`t run a version of Office however are you sure the CLAIT course needs Access? click here gives you OpenOffice which is free and offers comparable programs for Word & Excel. The equivalent of Access however isn`t really that comparable.

A new computer would need a version of Office which would be an additional cost. A student and Teacher edition costs less than £100 but won`t have Access unless you buy the S&T Pro version. Currently we are up to the 2007 version but you may be able to find the 2003 version slightly cheaper at about £150.

click here for a version of Office 2000 premium which might be what your wife is using on her course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?