upgrading laptop hard drive

BigMan24 13:41 10 Aug 2005

Hey guys,

I've just got a quick question:

I have a samsung laptop and its got 20GB hard drive on it - not very big by todays standards!

I also have an 80GB external hard disk.

But I am wondering, is it possible to upgrade the hard disk on the laptop, i.e. take the 20GB out and replace it with something bigger.

and.....how much do u think this would cost?

Thanks very much!

Aspman 14:57 10 Aug 2005

If you can get access to the drive bay it's quite straight forward.

You'll need to do some research to make sure that the laptop will accept the drive. I'd stick with similar specs such as ATA speed, brand and RPM to try to minimise problems.

Otherwise it's just as simple as changing the HD on a desktop. Unplug one, plug in the other, format and install.

You may have problems if your laptop has restore information held on a partition of the original drive. Do your home work and it should be easy.

Prices? Significantly more than a desktop drive of the same size but for a 40Gb drive prices are not too scary.

40gb are coming in around the £50 and roughly double for 80Gb.

woodchip 15:31 10 Aug 2005

You can get up to 120gb drives like the one from Seagate rpm 4500. but do not know what your laptop will take. I have a External USB2 that I use between 3 computers on a 98se desktop one a XP desktop and a XP laptop click here

And Hitachi 100Gb click here

woodchip 15:34 10 Aug 2005

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?