Upgrading a laptop hard disc

RCMB 19:35 16 Jun 2010

I have installed a 300G hard disc as a replacement for the 40G original in my laptop, using Macrium Reflect Image and an external hard disc. All seemed well. My computer now runs from the new disc. However I now have a disc partition of about 40G (ie a clone of the original) plus a partition of about 260G which seems to be unaccessable (I have looked in Disk Manager). If I right click on drive C: in My Computer and select properties, it only shows the 40G and it is almost full!

How do I overcome this? or do I have to start all over again?

T I M B O 19:40 16 Jun 2010

What os ?

Do you have the recovery cd's/dvd's

RCMB 19:47 16 Jun 2010

Thanks TIMBO

I have an XP operating system with SP3.

I have the image of my disc stored on the external hard disc. This restored to the new internal hard disc with no problems, except that I have this unwanted, unusable 260G partition on the disc!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:40 16 Jun 2010

To merge partitions in XP you will need third party software such as Partition magic.

Or
in disk management just format the partition and you can then use it to store data.

RCMB 21:02 16 Jun 2010

Thanks Fruit Bat

If I open disc management, the partition causing problems is labelled 'unallocated'. If I right click this area I don't get a choice of formatting it. How can I format it? If I did I presume I could then extend the fiirst partition into this area.

woodchip 21:05 16 Jun 2010

The Partition should be partitioned as NTFS then formated. so right click on it first choose ntfs

woodchip 21:06 16 Jun 2010

Be aware that if the C:\ Partition is Fat32 you may still not see the new Partition

RCMB 21:11 16 Jun 2010

Thanks Woodchip

If I right click on the partition in Data management, all I get as options are

New partition
Propeties
Help

Does this help? I am confused

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:44 16 Jun 2010

Select new partition

once its given it a letter then it will allow you to format

RCMB 22:03 16 Jun 2010

Thanks Fruit Bat

I will try tomorrow. Must log off now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?