UPGRADING TO INCREASE SPEED

pittza 18:45 11 Feb 2009

Hi, Can anyone tell me the best ways to upgrade my AND Athlon (tm) 1500+ 1.30 GHz , 1.50 GB of Ram running XP pro service pack 2. I need to increase the speed to record multiple audio tracks, I know the memory can be increased to 3 MB
which I will do but is there anything else I could do without buying a new PC?

ambra4 18:55 11 Feb 2009

What is the make and model of the motherboard?

Terry Brown 19:49 11 Feb 2009

By 'record multiple audio tracks', I assume you want to max tracks to create your on sound.

If that is all then your system should be capable, but you may need new software for recording.

A quick Google brought up this page, which includes some free /some pay software.

I have not tried any of them as I use Cool Edit Pro (Now Adobe)for all my recording /editing work.
Terry

Terry Brown 19:51 11 Feb 2009

By 'record multiple audio tracks', I assume you want to mix tracks to create your own sound.

If that is all then your system should be capable, but you may need new software for recording.

A quick Google brought up this page, which includes some free /some pay software.

I have not tried any of them as I use Cool Edit Pro (Now Adobe)for all my recording /editing work.
Terry
(Spelling mistakes corrected)

pittza 19:58 11 Feb 2009

Hi ambra4,
Everest scan says :
Motherboard Name MSI KT3V (MS-6712)

Company Name Micro-Star International

Stuartli 20:06 11 Feb 2009

These are the specifications of your mobo:

click here

These are the AMD CPUs it will support:

click here

Bios history details:

click here

Stuartli 20:07 11 Feb 2009

You should be able to find a suitable faster CPU on e-Bay.

woodchip 20:13 11 Feb 2009

Yes only one way with a CPU like that, I am on a Athlon 1600+ A bit faster than yours. Only way is a Mobo CPU upgrade. i.e a motherboard Kit

woodchip 20:15 11 Feb 2009

PS the CPU is too old to warrant buying a faster one as you will be stuck with old secondhand CPU's that will cost a arm and a leg. Cheapest and best way is a Upgrade as above

Stuartli 20:15 11 Feb 2009

See:

click here

If you do go down this route, note which particular CPUs cannot be paired with your particular mobo.

woodchip 20:19 11 Feb 2009

Cheap Kit click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?