Upgrading to IE8

spuds 12:41 30 Jul 2009

Over the past week or so, I have been trying to instal IE8 in replacement to IE7. Problem is that the program seems to download, and states that it as completed this task. Yet on opening the browser page, its still indicating IE7 and not IE8 as the new browser.

On previous downloading's, I did have problems with error messages, stating that the download was not 'complete' or 'possible', but that now seems to have corrected itself, except of course for the final missing new IE8 upgrade!.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Would point out that I already use Firefox, Google Chrome, Avant and Flock as browsers. Internet Explorer as always been present, and when upgrades and patches were available, these were installed without problems!.

I want to instal IE8, because reports seem to suggest that it is more 'rock solid' than IE7, which I have many problems with.

sunnystaines 13:59 30 Jul 2009

are you downloading with ie7 if not try that option.

save to desktop, restart in safemode and try install free from addons and security.

spuds 18:28 30 Jul 2009

I downloaded and installed with IE7.

On all the IE upgrades that was done in the past, I have always used this method, which as previously given me the option to retain the previous version.

spuds 22:45 30 Jul 2009

For some unknown reason, after several attempts from the Microsoft website, I downloaded and installed IE8 from the filehippo website, and it worked!.

I now have IE8, which I hope will be problem free, and less hassle than IE7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?