Upgrading Hardware running Win XP Home

Snakey 22:04 18 Jan 2004

I have just purchased a new Motherboard and Processor. I am currently running Win XP Home. Do I need to amend the System Settings in any way to perform this upgrade.

Big Elf 22:33 18 Jan 2004

Are you planning to put in your old hard disk with XP already installed on it?

You may have problems doing this due to different drivers, particularly, for the motherboard but possibly others as well.

Also this may trigger the Windows activation and you may need to either re-activate online or even have to phone MS to do so.

I've no personal experience of doing this but perhaps booting in safe mode (if it will) and uninstalling items from Device Manager might help.

wawadave 22:37 18 Jan 2004

hello
one way to advoid the driver issue is to remove every thing from device manager shut off computer. change mother board. and reboot xp will now look for all new hard ware and install drivers. have mother board cd handy.

Snakey 22:54 18 Jan 2004

Yes using same HDD. Just want to replace M/B and CPU.

By removing everything from device manager is this a Microsoft Solution ?

PSF 23:27 18 Jan 2004

click here;en-us;824125#2

Have a look here, Microsoft recommend using the 'repair' option after you replace the motherboard. This link is for Win 2000 and Windows Server 2003. I could not find anything on the Microsoft site for XP, as XP is based on both of the other two systems should work.

Setup installs the HAL, the IDE controller drivers, and any other drivers that the new motherboard must have.
After the repair is completed, reinstall any service packs or hotfixes that you had previously installed.

hugh-265156 23:56 18 Jan 2004

PSF`s link above click here

Snakey 23:58 18 Jan 2004

What Link ?? Just goes to MS Support Home

hugh-265156 00:04 19 Jan 2004

works ok for me??

for win 2000 or server 03 though.

i would start afresh with xp,back up anything important to cdr first.

Snakey 00:15 19 Jan 2004

thanks all

will try

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?