Upgrading Hard Drive in old PC

DJ-Garry 23:32 17 Sep 2007

I have an old home build pc with a 20Gb FAT32(why I'm not sure) system drive with XP Pro SP2 and a 120Gb NTFS storage drive. Both are getting full up so I thought I'd put a 250Gb drive (got one hanging around) in place of the two, partition it to 40Gb for system and 210Gb for storage. If I get low on storage again later I could always re-add the 120Gb.

My question is: bearing in mind that I DO NOT want to do a fresh install of XP onto the 40Gb partition, is there a (ideally free) program out there that will completley copy the system drive to the 40Gb partition so it can then take over, (as if nothing had happened) as the new system (boot) drive? And do it from within Windows while the system is running?

Many thanks, Garry

woodchip 23:38 17 Sep 2007

XXCOPY may do it. You just need to fit the Drive as a slave then try it. As it's bigger I have no idea how it would deal with Partition size but would think it will recreate a Partitionthe same size as the old one along with all files and OS click here

skidzy 23:41 17 Sep 2007

Convert the 20GB FAT into NTFS and treat yourself to Acronis and use the clone feature.

Acronis TI10 click here
£15 at the moment and changes daily.

This will serve you more than just creating a clone of the drive for transfer.

DJ-Garry 23:42 17 Sep 2007

I had planned to format and partition the drive before putting it in as the slave. Will XXCopy not let me do that?

skidzy 23:46 17 Sep 2007

Partition Logic is free click here

DJ-Garry 23:54 17 Sep 2007

Partition Logic sounds good. Burning a bootable cd that has it's own OS should get it all done. I've heard good things about Partition Magic so what the heck!!!!

Cheers guys, let you know how i get on. G

DieSse 00:49 18 Sep 2007

If it's an "old" system, as you say - you may find it doesn't support drives as large as 250GB.

If it's a Seagate drive, you can download (free) software to get around this, and also to copy your drive contents across. Last time I looked this was a modified version of Acronis software.

woodchip 20:38 18 Sep 2007

I use Acronis, but you have to buy it, it's not free. But it's very good. I would not be without it using a Computer. Saved me months of reinstalls over the years

if its a seagate drive?
click here
as mentioned by DieSse,works perfectly,i restored from a image a couple of weeks ago.
The main difference to the official acronis package as far as i can see, is it doesnt have the incremental back up facility.

DJ-Garry 21:08 18 Sep 2007

Unfortunatly it's not a Seagate. It's a Maxtor STM3250820A 250GB. Think it's quite new. It's in a box somewhere (just moved) and I'm going digging for it tomorrow. Think I'm gonna try formatting it to two NTFS partitions first then run this Partition Logic boot CD disc I've made up. If all goes well, I'll be back to let you know. If not, I'll be a few days doing a fresh install probably !!!!!!!!!!

DieSse 23:50 18 Sep 2007

"Think it's quite new."

Maxtor has been part of Seagate for some time now, so it may also be covered by the Seagate software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?