upgrading hard drive

tapsilteerie 18:43 26 Jul 2007

Is it ok to replace the hard drive in my pc (compaq) with a larger hard drive from another pc (Emachine)-can I do this without harming my pc?

cream. 19:16 26 Jul 2007

You should be able to swap them though they may be a few things you should be aware of.

1) the compaq's bios will accept the larger drive. In 99.9% of cases there will be no problem.

2)It will be very unlikley that the compaq will boot up from the emachines hard drive. Although it will have the operating system on the hard drive, all the changes may make windows throw a woobley.

3) If you do manage to get windows running. If you ever need to reinstall the operating system from the recovery disk, it won't work. You will be trying to restore a compaq system from an emachines disk or vice versa.

What may be the easiest and best way would be to go to the larger hard drives web site and download there software. You might then be able to clone the system from the small hard drive over to the larger hard drive.

if you are interested in doing that, post back with details of both hard drives. You will be able to identify them through control panel - system -device manager-disk drives

cream. 19:17 26 Jul 2007

" 1) the compaq's bios will accept the larger drive. In 99.9% of cases there will be no problem."

Should say

1) If the compaq's bios will accept the larger drive. In 99.9% of cases there will be no problem.

wee eddie 19:22 26 Jul 2007

Install the e-Machines Drive as a "slave" to the current Drive.

Put the e-Machines Drive into an "Enclosure" and use it as an External USB Drive.

tapsilteerie 19:24 26 Jul 2007

I'm obliged to Percy Vere for for his/her prompt answer-I'll shut down my pc and have a go.
kind regards

tapsilteerie 19:26 26 Jul 2007

to wee eddie-thanks for your help-but it goes over my head!

wee eddie 19:53 26 Jul 2007

Both of my solutions would work out simpler than Replacing your old Hard Drive, if all you need is the extra space.

tapsilteerie 20:48 26 Jul 2007

shut down my pc and swopped hard drives-didn't work! my pc woudn't boot up-the recurring message on the screen said disk error,press ctrl,alt,delete to restart maybe the hard drive from the Emachine is faulty?

wee eddie 07:59 27 Jul 2007

What you have seen only tells you that it is set up for a different Motherboard and System.

Question: Does the old Hard drive still work?

tapsilteerie 13:05 27 Jul 2007

the old (compaq) drive is ok-but I wanted to install the larger capacity (Emachine) drive.

wee eddie 13:20 27 Jul 2007

Install the new one as "Drive "D". A second drive is known as a "Slave Drive" and only requires you to change the little jumper switch at the back and plugging it in

You may be able to find a better movie search on how to do it: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?