Upgrading Graphics Cards

WayneRob 11:58 06 Feb 2003

I'm looking to upgrade my existing 32 Mb NVidia GeForce2 MX 400 to at least a 128 Mb GeForce4 Ti 4600.

Thing is, will the performance enhancement I get really be worth the money with the existing system I have, which is now over 18 month old (1 GHz Pentium III with 256Mb RAM). Or would it just be better to stick to a lower spec card (e.g. one of the 64Mb MX range)?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

L.H.F 12:02 06 Feb 2003

go for a general upgrade.

buy new Processor and stuff first. dont bother wit graphics for now, ur is fine. make sure u get a new processor and DDR RAM.

hope it helps

DwayneDibbley 20:39 07 Feb 2003

To be honest I'd rather just stick with upgrading the graphics card for now. Any recommendations?

Colin 22:26 07 Feb 2003

Go for an ATI Radeon 9700, not the Pro, as though slightly faster, the extra cost is not worth it. The card is DirectX 9 compliant, so will keep you happy for at least 2 years. The Sapphire range are very competitive. You will notice an increase in speed over the MX400, but not as much as you would expect as a faster processor is also required to get the best from it. There is a good article in this month's Personal Computer World about putting a fast grsaphics ard in a "relatively" slow PC.

DieSse 22:51 07 Feb 2003

A GeF4 MX440 or 460 with 64Mb DDR RAM would be a useful, inexpensive, graphics update, which would not be limited by the processor power.

However, you could upgrade further, as you suggest - as the card will still be a good performer for a future processor/mboard update - as long as it was not too far into the future.

If you are not thinking of upgrading the rest of the system for a year or so, then stick with the lower spec gfx cards.

Poloman69 22:51 07 Feb 2003

Check out the novatech website www. novatech. com (remove the spaces obviously - you can get a fantastic Geforce 4 Ti4800 for £150 - i have mine coming monday. They also have other great graphics card for low prices

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?