Upgrading graphics card help

frisp686 22:05 18 Dec 2007

Upgrading graphics card from 256 ATI to 512 nVidia Geforce. How do I install the new card when I have only one AGP slot.

Tried installing new card but monitor is blank so can't see to install new drivers. Tried installing new drivers with old card onboard new drivers will not install.

Instr say uninstall old drivers remove card install new card & run new driver install but that seems a bit off as having uninstalled old drivers if the install goes wrong I'm stuffed.

Any ideas welcome??

MAC

citadel 22:12 18 Dec 2007

uninstall driver for old card. shut down pc. remove old card. fit new card restart pc. new hardware found wizard will start and ask for driver, use cd that came with the card.

frisp686 22:27 18 Dec 2007

Cheers citadel

A bone question but B4 i do this I need to understand the following; Why won't my monitor show owt when I just change the cards over, with no drivers how does my monitor get fired up?

MAC

mikeben121 22:29 18 Dec 2007

Windows should default to basic drivers which will display something very basic (probably 16 colours at a low resolution). This would be enough to get you started and see to load the drivers.

frisp686 22:37 18 Dec 2007

In that case should it not have fired up a basic video session when I just took the old card out and installed the new one.

Why I'm concerned is that I've changed cards on other PCs and thats exactly what happens the basic video allowing the new install, however this time the with the new card in I get bupkiss, nowt, nada on the monitor.

Any ideas to build confidence B4 I just take the plunge welcome

Rgds

MAC

mikeben121 22:51 18 Dec 2007

That would indicate a problem with the graphics card. Do you get the BIOS boot screen?

citadel 22:58 18 Dec 2007

as you are changing to nvidia it may be best to download driver cleaner to get rid of ati leftovers after you uninstall driver.

frisp686 06:45 19 Dec 2007

Mike

The Monitor is completely blank no bios or owt. Thats whats got me concerned.

Rgds

MAC

Mac,
Perhaps we need a recap here...
You are upgrading your graphics card because you have nothing on the screen - nothing at all.
How do you know the problem is the graphics card?
Is it possible it is something else? The power supply to the card perhaps?
You could be wasting your time and money with the graphics card. Try testing your old graphics card in another PC. There can also come a time to hand it to an PC repairer, simply because they have spare PCs totry your graphics card to eliminate it.
Cheers
Dax

frisp686 08:49 19 Dec 2007

[email protected]

I'm upgrading my card cause I need more video memory to plat my FPS & RPS games.

My old card works fine, when I put the new card in it doesn't fire up the monitor which is completely blank.

In my experience I should see something on the screen with the new card in which makes me think that the new card is U/S.

Taking it back to PC world for a replacement will see how that goes.

cheers

MAC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?