Upgrading graphics card

yogibear 14:15 28 Dec 2007

We've bought our youngest a SH Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000 for Chrimbo, but the graphics seem a tad slow for the games we also bought him. The AGP is a Trident CyberBlade XP Ai1 and I was wondering if it is possible to replace it and, if so, what would be the replacement of choice (budget level).

Gongoozler 14:44 28 Dec 2007

Hi yogibear. I'm afraid that you can't change the graphics card on a laptop. You might get some improvement by adding extra memory, but that's all.

denbouy 14:52 28 Dec 2007

I am using a Dell Dimension 8200 Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 1.00 GB PC-800/40ns RDRAM, Windows XP, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420, AGP slot frame.
Have I left any pertenante information out?
I want to run newer PC games, eg. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, on my computer but need a better graphics card.
Can anyone tell me what model card will work in my computer without having to greatly modify my system, Plug & Play?
Thanks
denbouy

Gongoozler 15:09 28 Dec 2007

Hi denbouy. I can't see any reason why you can't use any AGP card, although if you go for one too powerful you may need a more powerful PSU. You might find changing to another NVIDIA card easier. Have a look at the NVIDIA cards here click here

yogibear 16:03 28 Dec 2007

Thanks for that Gongoozler. I didn't think you could change it, but if you don't ask...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone