Upgrading Graphics Card

RigsRigs 22:03 20 Mar 2006

I'm looking to make the most cost effective graphics upgrade for my desktop. Its a Pentim 4 2.53 and currently has a Geforce 4 Ti4200.

Whats the best thing to upgrade to get the best performance out of the system?

Looking forward to loads of suggestions!

Cheers!

DieSse 22:10 20 Mar 2006

*Whats the best thing to upgrade to get the best performance out of the system*

Best performance for what?

How much RAM do you have? What Operating System are you using? What AV program are you using?

The GeF4 Ti4200 was quite a good card - I used one until very recently (the fan failed, and now I use a lesser card) - it's only likely to limit performance on the more recent games.

ACOLYTE 22:15 20 Mar 2006

Some one posted this link click here i cant remember who it was but i thought it was good deal and am in the process of getting the wife to think so too)

RigsRigs 22:16 20 Mar 2006

Thanks,

basically its the games stuff - some of my daughters games are starting to look a bit jerky and the details not brilliant.

I've tried turning down the settings but I thought a better card would save me the hassle!

Its 512mb ram would increasing this boost the performance of the existing card?

Many thanks

ACOLYTE 22:21 20 Mar 2006

If your running xp i would say yes xp is memory hungry and you usually need more ram to run games in xp than other OS's.+ it would probably speed up other things besides games.

terryf 22:25 20 Mar 2006

If you are going to increase RAM, first check what ram is installed, sometimes the 512mb is made up by 2 x 256mb modules, and to increase to 1mb total you may need to buy 2 x 512mb, get them as a pair.

RigsRigs 22:31 20 Mar 2006

Ok,

so I think what we're saying (or what you lot are saying!) is that I should sort the ram out and see what gains in speed that makes?.

Thanks for the link Acolyte - is that the sort of card I should be limiting my upgrade to? I know I have to stick with agp

Thanks to all

ACOLYTE 22:34 20 Mar 2006

Not at all,your limit i guess is dictated by your budget,you can go for a better card that is up to you,but i think thats a decent card for the price,it will certainly suit my needs.Now if only the wife would see that.....

RigsRigs 22:37 20 Mar 2006

Thanks for the advice

And good luck with educating the wife!!........

AndySD 22:37 20 Mar 2006

Well here's an odd thing. My Ti4200 fan failed for the second time in its life last week so I got click here Novatech GeForce 6600 256MB AGP Graphics Card and have seen a major improvement in games.

RigsRigs 22:41 20 Mar 2006

Thats interesting.

What made you choose that particular card?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?