Upgrading from desktop to laptop?

Blackadderthe4th 12:25 28 Nov 2009

Rookie question? I currently have an oldish desktop with all the software discs, OS, Nero, Creative SB, etc. And have done several clean installs over the years. But it is about time to upgrade (at long last). So the question is it seems that you have the option of a recovery partition or a recovery disc, which is the best option? And what does it recover? Just the OS or the software as well? What are the drawbacks? And What specs should I consider for light weight video editing from mini-dv
cheers

rawprawn 13:44 28 Nov 2009

They usually come with a Recovery Partition and then the option to make your own recovery disk. It usually explains the procedure in the handbook if one (Recovery Disk)is not supplied.

Blackadderthe4th 20:38 28 Nov 2009

bump^

Batch 12:20 29 Nov 2009

They may vary slightly, but generally recovery partitions / disks are designed to recover the PC back to the situation at the time it was shipped.

As a consequence you might lose your own data when doing such a recovery. However, some use recovery software such as PC Angel (often the Lite version) which has a number of different levels of recovery to choose from (some of which are more destructive of your own data than others).

Personally I think you'd be better off using Acronis True Image.

Then, after buying a new PC, you can get it set-up as you want and then create an image that is (as near as dammit) equivalent to a clean install. If you just use a single partition (e.g. C:) restoring such an image would still destroy your own data, but you can always make regular back-ups (with True Image) that the data can be retrieved from. Alternatively, have 2 partitions (one for OS and programs and the other for your data) - that way they can be restored independently of each other.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?