UPGRADING A DELL XPS DIMENSION GEN 5

Phil962 18:23 11 Dec 2007

Hi, I need some advice please.

I have the XPS computer which I bought 2 years ago. I wish to upgrade without changing the motherboard.

Essentially replace the graphics card, add more RAM and put in a faster processor.

The processor is an Intel Prescott P4, 640, 3.2G, 800FSB, 2MB, Socket-T, Mainstream processor.

Is there a faster processor I can buy that is a direct replacement thus avoiding changing the MoBo?

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Phil

Quiller. 19:35 11 Dec 2007

Here is a list of what your board can take, Check that you have the bios version to match.
click here

It can take upto 8gb of memory but if you are running a win32 operating system, restric it to 2 X 1Gb and 2 X 512Mb max.

It should take any PCI-e graphics card.

Has your system the 460W or the 650W PSU?

Quiller. 19:37 11 Dec 2007

Sorry I should have mentioned that you are just looking at the cpu upgrades for the BTX motherboard, but I'm sure you knew that;))

Totally-braindead 19:42 11 Dec 2007

To see whether it is possible to upgrade the CPU it is necessary to find out what motherboard you have and whether it can take a faster processor.
Try SIW click here or Belarc click here and see if they will tell you what board you have, they will also tell you about what graphics card you have.
Adding more RAM is easy, goto Crucial and either let it scan your computer or go through the manufacturers and pick your PC, they will tell you what you can take in the way of memory click here
Graphics card depending on whether its AGP or PCI Express is slightly more differcult as you have to worry about the power supply. Go for a low level card and theres no problem, go for a high end card and you might need to replace the power supply as well.
The processor. To be entirely honest with you its fairly unlikely that your motherboard will take a fast enough processor to make it worth the cash. You would only know when you check the board and see what processors are supported by it.

Phil962 20:14 11 Dec 2007

Thanks guys, I will look into that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?