Upgrading dell desktop

Newby 12:04 04 Mar 2004

I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 933MHz CPU, 133FSB.
The motherboard is designed to support a 933MHz CPU maximum. I would like to buy a motherboard which can support up to - say - £GB CPU but, probably, buy a 2.6 - 2.8 GB. I have been told that some of the connections on dell motherboards/hardware are not compatible with other manufacturers. ALTHOUGH I LIKE THE DELL EQUIPMENT THERE APPEARS TO BE NO EASY WAY TO UPGRADE IT, SO I THOUGHT I WOULD TRY TO GET ANOTHER MB ELSEWHERE.
Can romeone please advise if my information is correct? Thank you.

slimbo51 12:13 04 Mar 2004

Do know some white box Manf (Dell in your instance) use custom built cases for their comps, and as such can involve getting a new case and psu.

The new PSU will probably be required anyway once u start upgrading proc memory Ect, as the ones they tend to use are of quite low wattage and limited quality.

In addition depending what type of memory u have at the moment Pc133 or whatever this may well not fit the new M/Board.

Other items such as graphic cards, sound cards Ect may well have to be considered.

christmascracker 12:17 04 Mar 2004

Have a read here

click here

click here

Newby 16:10 04 Mar 2004

slimbo51 and christmascracker,
Thank you very much for your information and advice. Looks like I'm going to need to spend some money if I want a faster computer.
I was horified, both at the fact that Dell is/was creating a problem with equipment when upgrading but also defended their policy so blithely! I am not a computer expert (I have found out in my time that the more one knows about a subject the more there is to learn).
Enough of this philosophising, thank you again.
Newby.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?