upgrading computer

Splodge 11:37 19 Feb 2010

My sony computer, which still works well, is about 10 years old and I think I should begin the process of updating!

I need two hard drives (SATA?) and could do with suggestions about one which will be as reliable as my present one.

Also, I have a USB drive, which I use to back up every week using Acronis! I wonder whether the new computer would recognise the data on that and allow me to copy files my across. I do realise I will have to re-install programs but would like to continue my backups.

Does anyone know if the new deives will do that and, I expect I shall opt for Windows 7 and have some reservations about using Acronis because I believe I saw something about it not being compatable to that OS.

Please help if you can! thank you.

oldbeefer2 11:53 19 Feb 2010

If it's 10yrs old, that is very old technology (in PC terms). I feel you would do a whole lot better buying a new one with fast processor, huge RAM and hard drive etc!

Splodge 12:09 19 Feb 2010

Well yes, that is what I meant!

To be honest I would run them in tandem until I was used to the new one. But which one is the question.

I note from a previous enquiry that Couger would be a good choice, and I have already looked at their site.

However, building a new one from scratch requires a knowledge of each component and I feel I might make the wrong choice for compatability. I MIGHT telephone them after I have exhausted everyone's patience on this page but the worry would be the same.

A bog-standard computer might be better for me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?