Upgrading Broadband to Wireless

  longbelly 09:39 06 Jan 2009

I have a PC running on Vista with a broadband connection via a BT Voyager 210 router and ethernet.

I have recently purchased a small laptop mainly for travelling but also used at home. The laptop has both ethernet and wireless connectivity.

I wish to change my broadband to wireless so I can use the laptop anywhere within the home, but not sure how to go about it? The PC does not have a wireless function, so does this mean buying some sort of wireless 'duberry' to plug into the ethernet port of the PC? Or does it go into a USB port and if so will I need drivers - also I always thought broadband via USB is inferior to USB?

  Technotiger 09:44 06 Jan 2009

You need a Wireless Router, if BT is your ISP you should ask them for the BT HomeHub wireless router, you should be able to get one FOC.

Or, here are a selection of Wireless Routers click here

  longbelly 09:53 06 Jan 2009

Thank you, I did realise I needed a wireless router. But as my PC doesn't have wireless capability, don't I need something else to plug into the ethernet or USB port.

  Technotiger 10:04 06 Jan 2009

As you are already running on an Ethernet connection, that same connection will be used for the Wireless Router, via Ethernet cable just as at present.

  Technotiger 10:05 06 Jan 2009

PS - the Wireless Router provides your PC with the Wireless capability.

  longbelly 10:49 06 Jan 2009

Yes, my PC is running on an Ethernet connection. So if I understand you, a Wireless Router will attch to my PC's Ethernet port by cable (without any plug adapter etc) and my laptop will connect wirelessly?

  Technotiger 10:59 06 Jan 2009


Happy surfing .........

  palinka 11:03 06 Jan 2009

Yes,your last posting is correct, longbelly.
That is exactly the set-up I have.
My router is a now fairly old BT one -"BT voyager 2100 wireless ADSL"; my desktop PC is attached by an ethernet cable; my laptop is wireless. And provided that the modem is switched on, the laptop connects even if the desktop PC is switched off.

  longbelly 11:17 06 Jan 2009

Many thanks - I've got it!

  longbelly 12:11 06 Jan 2009

I now find out that from Bt I WILL need an adapter to plu into my PC so that it will work with their wirelss home hub. Any ideas where I find this please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone