Upgrading Bios

romaneagle 19:43 06 Mar 2006

Has anyone any experience of upgrading their BIOS, please?

My BIOS is Award Medallion v.6.0 and I have been on their site, but have been directed to another (it seems unrelated site) and I don't even know whether there is an upgrade available, yet they want to charge me $29.95.

I am a little baffled by this.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks in anticipation!

Cheers

Romaneagle

Fingees 19:52 06 Mar 2006

Normally bios updates are provided free from manufacturers website.

Why do you need to upgrade, unless it's to fit new CPU for instance?

I have done it, but it is not recommended for the novece.

A failure during flashing can render the computer useless.

Some people do sell upgraded bios chips for you to instal.

However unless there is a serious problem LEAVE IT

If it ain't broke, Dont fix it.

smy13 19:58 06 Mar 2006

don't fix it. If your PCs working OK I wouldn't go near a BIOS update, you'll seriously be up the proverbial without a paddle if it goes wrong. Wait till someone comes on with a bit more know how, but the advice I've always been give here is don't meddle unless your are really confident you know what you're doing. Besides having to pay for it seems a bit suss

007al 20:36 06 Mar 2006

What motherboard do you have,and how long have you had it?

romaneagle 21:32 07 Mar 2006

Thanks to all of you for your responses - I think you have given me the advice I need - leave it!

007al

AsusTek Computer Inc.Kestrel rev 1.xx - 6 years

I am running a P3 533mhz.

I am shortly to upgrade to XP and thought I would check for upgrade to Bios - I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to this field.

THanks

handful 07:56 08 Mar 2006

The advice you have received is good advice, you shouldn't flash the bios unless you are trying to achieve/cure something specific. Having said that, I do also think that there is a bit too much made of the risks and if you follow the procedure properly and back up the bios before flashing there is not too much to worry about. Only my opinion so probably wise to stick with the majority!!

Kestrel1 08:40 08 Mar 2006

I would totally agree with the above advice.
I have had to flash a fair few BIOS's in my time & it can be a very dangerous operation. Had some go wrong & ended up with dead mobo's.
Windows XP should run OK on a PIII 533mhz processor, but how much memory have you got. I would suggest 256mb for best results.
I am currently running XP on this machine & it is a PIII 650mhz with 256mb RAM. However this used to be a PIII 450mhz & XP was fine with that.
Admitidly the BIOS was flashed, but this was to enable the installation of a larger hard drive.

romaneagle 20:18 08 Mar 2006

Many thanks to all of you for taking the time - I am really grateful!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?