Upgrading with anexternal hard drive

zaptone 13:16 29 Jun 2003

Help!!!! I'm afraid I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to computers. My compaq presario desk top has only 4gb capacity so I went and bought a freecom EXTERNAL hd but, although the system acknowledges it's there {Fhd1} I still get "low disc space" messages and am nearly up to 4gb storage. I've wiped off as many unnecessary programmes as I can; SURELY if I've connected a 60 GB hd there must be a way to resolve this problem? What am I doing wrong??? Please HELP!!!!

DieSse 13:23 29 Jun 2003

The system will not automatically know to use the new drive, and will continu to use the old drive, unless you explicitly tell it differently when you save data, load a program, etc.

What you have done is , unfortunately, the simplest way to upgrade your storage, but the most complcated to setup to use the extra storage.

You should be looking to transfer data and programs over to your new drive, as appropriate, but bear in mind it will be substantially slower than your existing drive.

Ironman556 13:35 29 Jun 2003

What Windows version are you using?

I think it may be because programs are still trying to write to the 4GB drive. Try running the disk cleanup to clear out any temporary files.

Is it all installed properly?

Go to My Computer and check the drive is listed. Then check the capacity (size Windows thinks the drive is) avaliable by right clicking on the drive and selecting the properties, it will probably display 55Gb, but don't wory about that if it does, it's top do with the way manufacturer's calculate sizes (If you want an explanation post back).

Go to Control Panel, then to System, and look to see if there are yellow triangles by any of the devices. Post back anything you find there.

If you had software that came with the drive then installing it may help windows to see the full capacity if it's 98 or older.

If all the above is ok, then I'd uninstall any programs you can and re-install them to the new drive, so you'll probably be left with only Windows on the 4GB drive. That way you'll free up a gig or two for files to be written.

Ironman.

Diemmess 15:37 29 Jun 2003

Same answers though put more brutally. (only reason is to try and help in the long term)

What you have done has many advantages in the long term but is not a good answer to your present problem.

Your freecom drive is fine for long term data storage, perhaps on its way to burning a CD.

BUT.............
External HDs cannot usually be used for the O/S and by their nature have a bottleneck with relatively slow data transfer compared with an internal HD.

Short term.........Try and transfer all data files like Word docs and any pictures you have to separate folders on the new drive. Also any downloads, and anything which doesn't have to be installed within windows.

Keep your Windows Temp and Temporary Internet folders cleared as often as possible and don't forget your recycle bin..... You may be able to run some programs from your external disk but they may go very slowly it depends on the program.

Longer term...........Keep your new external drive, but buy a new HD and install that in your computer's box...... There is lots of help and many past threads in this forum on how to do that.

Ironman556 17:19 29 Jun 2003

I'm a bit slower at typing ;-)

zaptone

I'd agree with that, a "small" internal drive ~30GB will cost just over £30. Well worth it.

If/when you do buy another internal drive, I'd suggest Seagate, they're quiet, the software makes them a breeze to install, and the technical support is great. It's easy to do and there's always people here to help if you get stuck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?