Upgrading Advice

ah1802 15:53 06 Mar 2007

I'm going to be placing an order before 6o'clock this evening. What I'm looking to buy is a new processor, motherboard, case and case fans. I'm looking to get a core 2 duo processor, these are what i have found so far. any recommendations will be very grateful.

PCICASE CS2600-BKS1 Hyperline II Black/Silver ATX Tower Case - No PSU 090900 14 in stock £18.70 £18.70

Extra Value 8cm Internal Case Cooling Fan 4 Pin 023880 4364 in stock £0.39 £1.17

ASRock CONROEXFIRE-ESATA2 SKT775 945P PCI-E 7.1 channel audio ATX 114769 111 in stock £44.97 £44.97

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13ghz) Socket 775 FSB1066 2MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

I think there all compatible etc, if not please let me know, thanking everyone in advance.

Adam

bennyhillslovechild 17:10 06 Mar 2007

They should work without a problem. I use the same ASrock mobo with a E6600 and it runs like a dream. Three caveats with that particular motherboard though: 1) It's pretty useless for overclocking if that was an intention.
2) Although advertised as having 2 E-SATA ports, in order to use these you need to link cables from two of the available four internal SATA sockets - cutting down the amount of internals available for HD's. (doesn't affect me as I don't use e-sata).
3) Only 2 USB sockets on the backplate, with another 2 and a firewire 400 added from an internal header to a PCI plate - so make sure you have a room for this.

Apart from what I have said above, it's an excellent motherboard for the price, with Crossfire capabilities (check out list of compatible cards though) if you don't mind lack of overclocking ability. I find it more than adequate.

ah1802 17:33 06 Mar 2007

Thank you very much!!!

Just placed my order should be with my sometime tommorrow hopefully.

bennyhillslovechild 17:55 06 Mar 2007

Excellent - good luck with the build - here's the link to the mobo on ASrock in case you want to get the latest drivers/bios updates click here=
it will support DDr2 Dual Channel ram at up to 667mhz (you seem to have left RAM off your upgrade list! plus there's the full list of compatible cards for Crossfire etc on there. If using SATA hard drive in RAID or AHCI mode rather than IDE you will need to add the drivers before installing windows by making a driver floppy. Details are on the website or in the mobo manual.

Have fun!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?