Upgrading a A950 LCD PC

will_power 11:29 26 Mar 2007

Hi,

I have a A950 LCD PC which is getting on a biut now and I need some advice as to how to go about upgrading it and what I need to do it pleae!

CPU: 2Ghz Intel Penitum 4
Memory: 256 MB
Motherboard: SIS 650GL
Graphics: Onboard

The manual says that the memory slots are two 184 pins DDR DIMM slots. Ideally I would like to upgrade both the processor and the memory. What would be the limiting factor as regards this?

Also, I would like to install a graphics card but I don't know whether this would be possible?

More information on a similar system can be found here:
click here
and
click here

Many thanks in advance!

keef66 16:29 26 Mar 2007

try the crucial memory advisor; it should tell you what it will take. Or better still try their system scanner.

Looks like it's limited to fsb of 133mhz, so I imagine you'll only find suitable cpu's on Ebay now. Probably not worth the expense / hassle given the marginal improvement you'd get.

Looking at the pictures in the second link, I doubt it would accommodate a graphics card.

Totally-braindead 17:17 26 Mar 2007

I have never seen one of these and assume like keef66 that you cannot upgrade the graphics, hopefully Crucial will help with the memory and if it runs XP more memory would be a good option as some of the 256mb you have will be used by the onboard graphics. With more memory you should notice a good boost in speed.

brundle 17:18 26 Mar 2007

Can't install any expansion cards on the those and be aware they are very prone to overheating (especially the hard-drive, it's mounted well away from the cooling fan) - I concur with keef66 regarding upgrades.

will_power 09:12 27 Mar 2007

Many thanks to all.

I have ordered some memory from crucial which should do the trick!

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?