UPGRADING

vicky2009 15:18 30 Mar 2009

Hi folks, not sure if this in on the right board so apologies if its not. I currently have a copy of windows xp professional on my computer which I cant update, would I be better un-installing that and installing home edition instead?

Sea Urchin 15:22 30 Mar 2009

What happens when you try to update it? I presume you're referring to Windows Update.

MAJ 15:22 30 Mar 2009

Why wont it update? Is it a legal version?

woodchip 15:29 30 Mar 2009

See if it will repair using your own XP CD. Start with CD in Comp then choose setup it will look for a OS and should find the one on your drive, if it does click on the one it finds the press R if it will let you

MAJ 15:36 30 Mar 2009

"I was told not to update it..so Im thinking its not a legal copy."

vicky2009, please post answers here, not via email. Others can't get to grips with the problem if they don't know the full story.

Go click here and see if your XP is legal or not. If it isn't, then yes you should backup all your important files, format the drive and install a legal version, that can be XP Home if you wish, so long as it isn't installed on another computer.

MAJ 15:45 30 Mar 2009

Please don't think you were being reprimanded, many others have been caught in the same boat as you, but it's better for your online security that Windows is updated frequently. How did the Validation turn out?

Sea Urchin 16:12 30 Mar 2009

"Erm... I have been told not to because it is a copy...."

As MAJ says please post answers on the thread

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?