Upgrading

morph76 23:43 24 Nov 2007

Hello
I ran Belarc advisor and below are the results of what i have running. Ive changed a few things since i bought this pc like the graphics card, added more ram and changed the psu to a quieter model but i think thats about all i could do to it. I take it i would have to get a new motherboard and start from scratch in order to have a quicker cpu and graphics card? I fancy the challenge of building a pc, and sure if i get stuck, i know where id come to for help! Any suggestions welcomed

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) eveshamvale
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: eveshamvale
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version 07.00T 04/02/01
Drives Memory Modules c,d
80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
67.67 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

AOPEN CRW5232/AAO PRO [CD-ROM drive]
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCA8E5411296, rev 17.07W17, SMART Status: Healthy 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 256 MB
Slot '1' has 256 MB
Slot '2' has 512 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 80.02 GB 67.67 GB free
Network Drives
None detected
Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT [Display adapter]
LGE L1710B [Monitor] (17.1"vis, December 2002)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (3x)
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller Creative Game Port
Creative SB Audigy
Hauppauge Nova-T IR
Hauppauge Nova-T Stick DVB-T Tuner Device
Communications Other Devices

1394 Net Adapter
USB ADSL WAN Adapter
VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter
Dhcp Server: none responded

OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
HID-compliant consumer control device
HID-compliant device (2x)
USB Human Interface Device
HID Keyboard Device
PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
HID-compliant Mouse
NT Apm/Legacy Interface Node
Generic USB Hub
USB Root Hub (4x)
Nokia 6300
Virus Protection [Back to Top]
AVG 7.5.503 Version 7.5.503
Realtime File Scanning On

woodchip 23:50 24 Nov 2007

First off, If you have eversham You will only have at Most a Recovery CD. So you would need a OEM version of XP Then Get a new Motherbord that supports Dual CPU. you would most likely need new different Ram.

Cheap starter click here

Maplins have two in also but Faster than Above.

Some more hear click here

woodchip 23:54 24 Nov 2007

Intel Core 2 Duo

Is faster than a

Intel Core Duo

morph76 00:00 25 Nov 2007

Woodchip thanks for the reply
Yip only have a recovery cd so that question was gonna be next! Is there much difference in AMD and Intel CPU's ?

woodchip 00:02 25 Nov 2007

Yes AMD is cheaper, More bang per buck

morph76 00:07 25 Nov 2007

Its gonna be AMD then. Are there any good sites you could recommend for motherboard reviews?

Totally-braindead 00:14 25 Nov 2007

If you compare same for same then no, theres no real difference between Intel and AMD.

It is slightly more complicated than that however and to be honest in the last 6 - 9 months I've kind of lost track of things.

It used to be AMD were best value giving better performance for your pound but I'm not sure if this is any longer the case.

Only suggestion I have is have a look at this website and your price range and see what gives you the best performance for your money. click here it isn't totally up to date but at the speed things move I suppose that would be differcult.

For me the trick has been to try to get a system thats balanced and in that way I think you get the best value, theres no point for example in spending £400 on a really fast processor to play games if you stick in a £30 graphics card because the graphics card will bottleneck the system and slow it down. Same could be said about getting a really low processor and putting in a mega graphics card, theres no point you're wasting you money on the graphics card as the processor will bottleneck the system.

In general the systems sold by the likes of Novatech are balanced, they don't sell you a PC with the fastest processor and a rubbishy graphics card they try to balance between the items supplied so that they will hopefully all run together at full capacity.

Of course if you are planning to upgrade later you can buy a fast processor with a poor graphics card and update it later.

Be aware that newer graphics cards, the more powerful ones, need their own power supply and it must be stable. For that reason its sensible to buy a branded power supply and to get a good rated one, if its for a gaming PC then I would really go for a branded 650 watt one.

Sorry its so long winded but there is a lot to consider.

Totally-braindead 00:16 25 Nov 2007

Toms Hardware has a lot of motherboard reviews as well.

morph76 00:42 25 Nov 2007

Thanks Totally-braindead
Im gonna have a good look around before i jump into this. Like you say id have the 8800GT gpu but also a top cpu to go with it, theres no point in skimping on one or the other. The choice is endless for a person of my experience so ill have to spend some time reading reviews !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?