upgrading

Iceman30 16:37 24 Jan 2007

Hi all!
I am considering upgrading my PC with a new graphics card and memory.
I would like comments as to which one to upgrade to, and how much memory will I need.

I cuirrently have a Geforce FX5200 256mb and 512mb DDR.
not sure what all that means but I think I need more to do some online gaming.
Comments welcomed.
Thanks
Ice

Totally-braindead 17:14 24 Jan 2007

Memory is easy. Goto Crucial key in what PC or what motherboard you have and they will tell you what you have and what you can update to click here. If you don't know what motherboard you have you can download SIW or Belarc or Everest, you can do a google search for them if you need them. Alternatively just let the Crucial website scan your computer. They also do graphics cards.

The graphics cards upgrade can be troublesome. There seem to be more and more postings in the helproom from people who have problem with this.
The card you have now must be AGP so you need an AGP card. The 5200 only needs the power you can get from the AGP slot. Newer cards also have a power connector and this is where the problems can start.
If your power supply is not up to it it might not supply enough power to the new graphics card so depending on what you have you may need a new power supply as well. If you look inside your case at the power supply there will be a label on it which tells you the wattage of what you have.
As well as this you have to decide a budget, you can get something like a 7600GS or a 6600GT and either will be a considerable advance on what you have already but both need power. They cost about £80-90.
Also I think I should mention that if your processor isn't a reasonable speed its a waste of money and you haven't said how fast your PC is.

Iceman30 17:42 24 Jan 2007

Thanks for the reply, very helpful, my pc is 3.2 ghz is that fast enough to suport a new graphics card?

Totally-braindead 20:48 24 Jan 2007

Oh yes more than fast enough. I was concerned that you had something like a 1 ghz computer or something like it in which case there would be no point upgrading the graphics as it would probably bottleneck at the processor.

Do check the power supply though, theres lots of people having problems just because they haven't enough power.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone