Upgrade to xp from me - advice needed

lea10 17:57 05 Jan 2007

I would like to upgrade from windows millenium to xp. The problem is that I don't have the original millenium disc, as the system was already loaded onto my pc when i purchased it.
There is an OEM registration number for the system, but the retailer which i purchased pc from no longer excists.
Any advice would be much appreciated. thanks

ed-0 18:17 05 Jan 2007

1) buy a ME disk from ebay from around a tenner. They shouldn't really cost more than 50p.click here

2) if you haven't bought the upgrade disk yet, consider getting an OEM version of windows XP click here. This will cost you around £56, cheaper than a upgrade disk but you will need to format the hard drive to use the OEM disk. You could, if you haven't already got one, create a partition and store all your files and stuff on the partition. You will have to buy a cheap mouse also to qualify for the OEM disk.

3) if your machine is good enough, go for windows media center OEM at £75 click here. This will qualify you for an upgrade voucher to windows vista when it is released. Windows Vista is very resource hungry and you would need a reasonable computer to run it.

ps

have you checked that your present system is good enough for XP

Technotiger 18:24 05 Jan 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?