upgrade woes

staples printer cartridge 07:29 06 Sep 2004

I have just upgarded my mobo and processor. I have never done it before. It all went rather well until I tried to make it work! The BIOS runs ok, but when windows tries to boot it just recycles back to the start again and again and again. No matter what I do. I have put my old configuration back together and it works fine. Any ideas? Should I contact the mobo manufacturer or bite the bullet and just pay someone to sort it out for me. I have tried to boot from my XP CD and refoemat the drive but this won't work either (but that is possibly due to a disc fault).

Diodorus Siculus 08:22 06 Sep 2004

Sounds like you need to reinstall windows (new mobo needs new drivers I expect) - do you have a different XP disk that you can try? Paying someone else to do it will probably entail buying a new XP CD anyway.

staples printer cartridge 22:18 06 Sep 2004

Does that mean microsoft will not supply a new disc? I have to buy windows again?

Diodorus Siculus 22:25 06 Sep 2004

Sometimes MS will sell you a replacement disk for about £15 if my memory serves me correctly. No harm in phoning tham up if you have a full version (not OEM).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone