Upgrade RAM or Processor for those using C2D?

ekjata 14:15 08 Aug 2008

Hello,

I use Photoshop CS3, Dreamweaver CS3, Adobe Audition, Adobe Premiere etc, regularly, burn DVDs and edit audio/video and have so many applications and e-mail program open while surfing the net as well.

My system has 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM and Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz processor of L2 2MB Cache.

I would like to know what would be very much worth it to do. Upgrade the RAM to 8GB or move to one of the processors, either Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz or Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz?

For your information, I'm going to buy Asus P5K-SE soon. I need one that supports 45nm processor, but my budget is low for a motherboard cuz I've already spent a lot on my system, so I'm not going for anything above P5K-SE. This mobo costs approximately $166 (Rs. 4,500)in Mauritius. Everything is very expensive here in Mauritius

Please, help!

Thanks!

crosstrainer 14:27 08 Aug 2008

4GB is ample, I would go for faster CPU and a custom CAD graphics card.

click here

This card is not cheap, and is not for games etc, but I have clients who use them for dedicated web design, CAD and the like. They take care of rendering at a blistering pace, and give you an accurate representation of what you will get.

Very high defenition, which of course requires a high quality high defenition monitor.

Proclaimer 14:32 08 Aug 2008

so unless you have or switch to a 64 bit OS you will limited to 4 GB RAM.

I have the same dilema and I am now looking at buying the MAC Pro with 2x dual Core CPU's

crosstrainer 14:34 08 Aug 2008

For 8GB or 64 bit o/s overkill, and many older versions of autocad, dreamweaver etc will not run on 64 bit Vista anyway, forcing expensive upgrade to the software.

The card and CPU will do the trick. In fact I reckon just the card will really give the system a kick in these applications.

Ditch999 15:16 08 Aug 2008

A quad core Q6600 - 65nm (or Q9xxx - 45nm if the budget stretches) would be better for those applications.

What graphics card do you currently have?

crosstrainer 15:25 08 Aug 2008

The card is the clue I think...Could be struggling with onboard?

For those apps. the card I posted the link for is a beast :)

ekjata 15:52 08 Aug 2008

I have nVidia EN8500GT 512MB DDR2 667Mhz/GPU clock 459Mhz. I got his just about 3 months ago I guess and will move to a better one around Feb. I'm not a heavy gamer though.

My OS is Vista Ultimate SP1 x64.

My system is still fast with my current stuffs and doesn;t hang at all. I use at least 8 browsers, Photoshop, sometimes music all at the same time and doesn;t hang at all. Only when i'm converting 700mb .avi files to burn on DVD takes about 45 minutes.

QX9xxx series hasn;t arrived in Mauritius i guess, but even if it has, it will be very expensive.

Core 2 Duo EN8400 is $333 at the moment.

Pamy 17:16 08 Aug 2008

from what you have told us I see no reason for you to upgrade. Just what problems then are you having with what you have?

ekjata 17:47 08 Aug 2008

Actually, I'm building another PC for my A+ project assignment. I have some networking tasks to do for which i need two PCs, so I though it would be better if I buy some good stuffs and then after finishing the project later I can use my current processor for a home server system for system backup use.

I have no problem at all. Just thought about what would be wise to do for performance boost or let's say for earning the best performance as a home based desktop PC.

I also feel that 2MB L2 Cache is quite low. Maybe a processor with 4MB or 6MB would be better.

Thanks!

Pamy 17:55 08 Aug 2008

ekjata, Are you or will you be attending a school for you A+ course? Your tutor will be a good person to consult.

ekjata 18:21 08 Aug 2008

Well, I'm doing "International Diploma in Computer Studies" (IDCS) and i have taken A+ as my elective module. I also work part time as a PC technician/Consultant. I have to submit my A+ practical assignment by November.

I don;t want to use my institute lab, cuz i don;t want to waste time doing back and forth regularly and also the PCs are very slow there. I will be attending my institute only for a private coaching based on my project assignments.

In fact, my tutor himself takes advice from me if it is something based on hardware and PC related errors and he is a software engineer and IDCS lecturer.

I wanted to take advice from some professionals here, especially from those who actually have experienced the difference in upgrading the RAM and difference in upgrading the CPU.

I understand that 4 GB RAM would be enough because not all programs are 64Bit even though we may be using 64bit OS, but when most software will become 64bit then we will need to upgrade the RAM as well. The question is, whether in 2 years or 4 years....? In that case, i feel it would be wise to spend on a processor. But, I want advice from you all to know the difference in performance which can be noticed.

Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017