Upgrade RAM to more than 4GB on Windows 7 64bit?

lonemascot 19:11 02 Jan 2015

I have an old-ish PC that I wanted to use for standard office based programs - excel, word etc. and want to give it a bit of a performance injection as its starting to run a tad slow.

It was originally bought with a 32bit Vista OS and had 3GB of RAM installed (2Gb + 1GB DDR PC2 5300 modules) and it seems the main board has a max of 4GB allowable - VIA PT890 8237A. click here

I've since upgraded it to Windows 7 64bit and was under the impression I'm now able to stick more RAM in.

So my question is this. Can I plonk in 2x3GB or 2x4GB modules or am I still limited to a max of 2x2GB?

rdave13 19:16 02 Jan 2015

You can only run to the maximum the mobo allows. The Crucial scanner will show you the most efficient ram set-up you can have. See here.

Ian in Northampton 20:16 02 Jan 2015

In all honesty, I doubt you'd see much of a performance boost with Office programs by adding memory beyond 4GB. None of them is particularly memory-hungry. Larger memory only really benefits memory-intensive applications such as gaming, video editing and so on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?