Upgrade in RAM causing laptop to crash

hstudent 10:11 27 Dec 2008

About 3 months ago I purchased a piece of 1GB 533MHz 200pin SoDIMM DDR2 RAM (identical type but not brand to what's already in my laptop.) About a week after installing it my computer began to crash on a regular basis, showing a blue screen saying that there's memory problems then restarting.

I removed the extra piece of RAM and it ran fine for about a month. I tried it again in the last week and my laptop started crashing again.

The instructions say that the RAM is upgradeable to 2GB, as there was 1GB put in by the manufacturer, the extra RAM should be fine and it's displaying correctly as 2GB in the Control Panel.

There's plenty of spare hard disk space on both my C: and D: drives. Is there anything I can do to get the extra RAM working without crashing the computer?

(My laptop is running on Windows Vista Home Premium service pack 1, if that's of any help. Service pack 1 was installed after I started having problems.)

User-1229748 10:28 27 Dec 2008

run the memory diagnostic tool from control panel-administrative tools

baldydave 10:34 27 Dec 2008

Hi,
download a memory tester/reseat memory and then run memory tester with one stick of ram at a time,if they are faulty then replace.If the stick you bought 3 months ago is faulty then take it back and get them to give you a new stick.
Memory testers,
click here
or
click here
Please note on memtest - free download /iso zipped image/then burn with cd burner using setting BURN IMAGE

mooly 12:17 27 Dec 2008

I think you are best with two identical modules, particularly if dual channel mode is supported. Buy from a reputable company such as Crucial -- there is a lot of unbranded "generic" stuff out there.

hstudent 09:14 29 Dec 2008

"run the memory diagnostic tool from control panel-administrative tools"

Ran that - said that there are no problems.

mooly 12:53 29 Dec 2008

The only sure fire way to prove it is to replace both modules I think.
The facts point to this, your laptop is OK with the original memory, you fit another stick, different brand etc in tandem and now it crashes.
I have just recently fitted two matched modules ( Crucial ) in my Vista notbook and am amazed at the improvement.
Why not run the Crucial on line scan and see what it recommends for yours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?