upgrade processor

jonmh 16:16 26 Mar 2005

I have a amd athlon xp 1700+ processor and a athlon xp 266 mhz motherboard (whatever this means), I would like to upgrade to a faster processor. Is this possible if so what would you suggest? and is it just a matter of swapping one for the other?

bremner 16:18 26 Mar 2005

It will depend on the FSB of your motherboard and which BIOS it has.

You should be able to go to the 2400+ but whether the performance increase would be worthwhile will be debatable.

A more worthwhile upgrade would probably be an increase in RAM

Gongoozler 16:50 26 Mar 2005

As a rule-of-thumb, I generally reckon that a processor speed increase of 50% is needed to see a noticeable difference, so the minimum you would need is 2400+, and as bremner says, the improvement wouldn't be dramatic. You don't say how muvh memory you have, but for XP you need a minimum or 128M, and depending on what you use the computer for, up to 1G can make a considerable difference. If you are serious about changing the processor, then it may be worth adding a bit of extra cash and getting a motherboard capable of accommodating a 3200+ Athlon, or even a 64 bit Athlon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?