Upgrade problem

jaffa43 11:38 22 Oct 2006

Hi all.I'm hoping someone out there can shed light on a problem i'm having.I upgraded my pc using a barebones purchase,after installing my drives etc etc it booted fine and ran with no problems.However my son's pc is a little slow so i decided to use my old unit with all his drives installed in it.After re-building my son's pc i booted it up but got a blue screen which informed me that the pc was stopped from running to prevent damage to windows,along with a very long error message that unfortunately i didn't copy.It informed me to run Chkdsk /F but i can't as the pc stops at this blue screen.I have put the drives etc back into my son's old case for now so he has a pc to use,but would like to upgrade his pc too.Problem is this error it throws up,all the drives are recognised by the way,and bios settings are fine too.Everything works fine in his old case,starting to pull my hair out please help if you can before i end up bald lol.

Diemmess 11:50 22 Oct 2006

If I understand correctly, your son's HD (with his OS on it will not boot when wired into your old motherboard?

That is almost certainly because all the motherboard drivers are different from those your son's HD and system are configured to expect.

There is no quick fix. Had you made some headway to correct the errors you saw, it would probably have wrecked any chance of using the HD back in the original environment.

As I see it you must save all your son's data somewhere away from the HD, make sure you have the motherboad CD and then format and install Windows from scratch.

gudgulf 11:56 22 Oct 2006

You might find this useful click here

Full instructions on how to set your Windows installation up to accept a new motherboard without reinstalling from scratch.

jaffa43 15:18 22 Oct 2006

Thanks very much for the advice guys,much appreciated.I was hoping to avoid a re-format and the advice from gudgulf may just do it for me.Thnk you once again.

woodchip 15:27 22 Oct 2006

If you loaded your drives on is motherboard setup, that's why you got a problem. i.e Drivers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?