Upgrade Power Supply?

pcmuppet 17:38 13 Aug 2006

I need to upgrade my power supply in order to fit a better graphics card. I am currently using a MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard supporting a AMD 64 3800 processor. Power supply is currently rated at 350W. Graphics card is an ATi X800 GT (PCI Express)

Is fitting a new power supply just a case of unplugging the old one and the connections and plugging in the new one?

Is there also a way of finding out the best graphics card that could be supported by my existing set up?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:03 13 Aug 2006

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

ulrich 19:34 13 Aug 2006

Whatever you do do not buy a low priced PSU. I upgraded one every year for 3yrs, I did a total rebuild, and new I must buy a decent PSU, and hopefully a little bit future proof. I am now running a Seasonic 600w money well spent, quiet and plenty in reserve.

pcmuppet 18:25 16 Aug 2006

Thanks to Fruit Bat & Ulrich for their responses. Much appreciated. PC Muppet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?