upgrade office 2000 to 2007 (or 2010)

palinka 13:52 09 Jun 2010

I'm still using my copy of Office 2000(bought as student edition and includes Publisher.)
I've installed it in successive PCs (Me; XP) & my current OS is Vista
Generally everything is fine, but in the last 6 months or so I've noticed Excel in particular often wants to send an error report on shutdown of the program.
Today I also experienced a "bluescreen unexpected shutdown" of my entire system; don't know whether this is connected in any way.
I like MS Office and I use Publisher a lot, so what do people advise that I do?
I don't really want to change to Open Office.
Is there a cheaper way to upgrade Office 2000 than to buy the entire new 2007 version?

T I M B O 14:01 09 Jun 2010

There could be a software issue, that's why sometimes u can get a blue screen. What you can do is to put in the office CD and try a repair, or you can delete and do a clean install.

If you are a student as u mentioned student, then you might be able to get a cheaper copy from here but you have to be a student.

Have you made sure that all the security & spftware updates are completed for office??

click here

palinka 16:39 09 Jun 2010

thanks for those suggestions, T I M B O.
I'm no longer a student, nor is any other family member now, so that's not an option. All updates are completed . I'll try a repair from the disk as I assume that clean re-install would put me back to date of issue with no prospect of software & security updates because "extended support" for office 2000 ceased in summer 2009.

T I M B O 17:28 09 Jun 2010

If Microsoft are no longer supporting office 2000, then this could be a good time to upgrade.

To delete office 2000 & re-install will infact remove any Microsoft fixes or security patches they have already done.

click here

BryanScott 12:10 21 Jun 2010

I bought a copy of MS Office Professional 2007 from my local computer shop in april this year. It is a fully legal, shrink wrapped package which has been installed and activated. I saw the piece in PCA about a free upgrade to Office 2010 but there seems to be a requirement for a voucher which should have been included in the Office 2007 package but was missing.

I have a proper receipt for the purchase.

Where do I go from here as I can find no information on the MS website. Any help would be much appreciated.

gengiscant 12:15 21 Jun 2010

Office 2007 is more than enough. I think that this months magazine had a in depth review of Office 2010 and there did not seem much in the way of major improvements unless perhaps for businesses.
But I would imagine that Office 2000 is a bit long in the tooth now.

Kevscar1 12:53 21 Jun 2010

Have you tried doing a restore til before this started to see if anything else you have installed is causing the problem.

wiz-king 13:03 21 Jun 2010

My advice would be to stick with 2000 if it does what you need. 2007 is a very different beastie and you will have to do a steep learning curve and may not be worth the effort. Publisher will give you problems as the various editions are not compatible click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache