Upgrade not happening

talia 20:05 05 Jul 2003

Hi

I have just bought a bare bone system with a Duron procesor, 128 ram, and K7VM2 motherboard.

According to the advert for it I should just be able to fit my current HD and awy I go. NOT SO!!

The thing fires up but Windows will not run and says it has shut down due to either nrw HD fitted, virus, corruption or needs partitioning.

Any advise?

powerless 20:07 05 Jul 2003

Which version of Windows?

hugh-265156 20:34 05 Jul 2003

a new motherboard will require a reinstall of windows as the drivers for the old are on the drive.

talia 09:13 06 Jul 2003

The HD has WinXP.

Huggyg71, are you saying that I need to instal all the drivers again along with windows or that the new motherboard needs a driver installed?

A Motherboard is another piece of "Hardware" and will require drivers installed for it to run well.

Although Win XP has a lot of these drivers, it may not have your particular ones.

if you can, reinstall Windows (This will clear out the old drivers which is not a bad idea anyway) and install the drivers ffrom the disk supplied withthe new mobo. Make sure the HDD is set to master and any CD or DVD is set to slave.

talia 11:56 06 Jul 2003

Sorry for being Dim!

Re-istalling windows would I lose all the work I have on the drive?

The other problem is that I have tried booting from CD and it will not work Do I have to change the BIOS.

The error message I get when trying to boot from HD states The Windows has detetected that it had not shut down properly. Disconnect newly installed HD or check drives and then CHKDSK\F

STOP: 0x0000007B(0xF0583640, 0xC0000034)

hugh-265156 12:47 06 Jul 2003
  Rayuk 13:21 06 Jul 2003

To boot from cdrom enter bios and change boot sequence.to cdrom/ide0/floppy.
When you have done you can change them to whatever suits you best.usually Floppy/ide0/cdrom/any other

talia 20:41 07 Jul 2003

Many thanks everybody i have now got the machine up and running after re-install of XP.

The only problem now is that the darn thing is very slow in responding and I cannot find anything that is running in the background to slow it down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017