Upgrade Non-wireless router??

Non-techy 09:22 08 Aug 2008

I have a pc that is connected to broadband via a Non-wireless router. My son is buying a laptop that he wishes to operate in wireless mode.

As you can see from my userid technical stuff is not my forte.
Can someone please tell me what options I have to make this happen without spending too much!!

Thanks

TonyM 09:44 08 Aug 2008

What model of router do you have ?

Non-techy 09:51 08 Aug 2008

It's a BT Voyager 220v ADSL Voice Router

PC Bilbo 10:27 08 Aug 2008

You don't state how far away from the router the laptop will be nor what it's wireless capability is.

Distance and the number of intervening walls/floors and wether or not they have metal reinforcement will all affect signal strength.Distances quoted by manufacturer's usually assume ideal conditions in free air which is rarely found in a home environment:radiated interference will also cut range.

If you plan on using the 'G' spec protocol (currently cheaper than the latest draft 'N' spec, and the laptop is reasonably close, a standard G spec modem/router will suffice. If you already have a modem with an ethernet connection than you only need a wireless router.

If you are doubtful about your local conditions it is worth investing in a model with MIMO capability (multiple input/output channels) which will significantly increase range.

TonyM 12:20 08 Aug 2008

You have 2 choices if you want to go wireless:

1) Buy a "Wireless Access point" taht you then connect to your current router soemthing like ...

click here

2) replpace your current router with one that has Wireless built in.

Personally I would go for the second option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone