Upgrade motherboard/processor

Pine Man 19:30 31 Jan 2007

I am looking to upgrade my motherboard/processor with a bundle from Novatech but I am short on dosh.

I would like to install the board but continue to use my hard and optical drives as well as as many of the cards as well until I can afford better ones later.

Most of the new boards show 1 x ATA/133 + 4 x SATAII (w/ RAID) Supports RAID 0, 1 and 1+0. I have 3 ATA hard drives and two optical drives can they be fitted to SATA connectors?

I have an AGP graphics card will this fit a PCI Express motherboard?

Lastly I have four PCI cards including sound etc but the motherboard has 1 x PCI Express x16, 2 x PCI Express x1, 3 x PCI. Can I use these for my existing cards?

Many thanks guys.

ed-0 19:43 31 Jan 2007

" Most of the new boards show 1 x ATA/133 + 4 x SATAII (w/ RAID) Supports RAID 0, 1 and 1+0. I have 3 ATA hard drives and two optical drives can they be fitted to SATA connectors?"

Yes but it will Be fiddly and expensive.

" I have an AGP graphics card will this fit a PCI Express motherboard?"

No.

" Lastly I have four PCI cards including sound etc but the motherboard has 1 x PCI Express x16, 2 x PCI Express x1, 3 x PCI. Can I use these for my existing cards?"

You can just use the 3 X PCI slots, so one will not work.

You would be better off not going for a bundle but to pick which cpu you want to use and build a different motherboard around this.

Pine Man 13:26 01 Feb 2007

Thanks for your response I think I'll follow your advice in the last paragraph.

keef66 15:16 01 Feb 2007

Look for a bundle with an older AGP motherboard with 4 PCI expansion slots??

keef66 15:20 01 Feb 2007

click here

Try this for size?

keef66 15:33 01 Feb 2007

click here

Socket AM2 so should take a speedy Athlon cpu.

plenty of PCI slots. (But you might not need all your PCI cards though; mobos now include usb2, lan, firewire, onboard sound etc)

Not sure about the drive connectors though.

Pine Man 19:21 01 Feb 2007

Thanks for your input.

In the end I decided to do the FULL upgrade!

I have ordered a base unit with all the latest goodies fitted and Vista (not sure whether that's good or bad!)

I figured that if I was going to get a nice uptodate mobo I might as well have decent hard drives, graphics and RAM etc.

Only time, and good old Mr VISA, will tell.

keef66 21:25 01 Feb 2007

For what it's worth, I think you made the right decision.
Since I bought this Socket A Athlon XP 2100+ based pc 6 years ago, I have seen fsb increase about tenfold, AGP superseded by PCI-express, graphics cards become more powerful than my first pc (yet cheaper!)DDR2 memory come in, USB 2.0 replace my 1.1,crt monitors become obsolete, and SATA hard drives become the norm. My next upgrade can only be a new pc. Might build it myself for the entertainment value, and I think I'll wait till Vista SP2 is released.

Enjoy!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?