Upgrade motherboard: simple questions

jas7 16:47 10 Jan 2006

a) Previous socket A motherboard which has blown capacitors had Athlon Xp 1500+ processor and 512 Mb DDR 266 Mhz. Looked on the web found Ausus motherboard A7v600-x looks compatible but I want to check first. b) Also how easy is it to change the Athlon Xp processor over to another board.
First time I've done this so tips would be appreciated?

Thanks

John

Gongoozler 18:17 10 Jan 2006

Hi John. The Asus A7V600-X looks fine. I'm using an ASUS A7V8X-X and Ive been very pleased with it. Changing the processor over is quite straightforward, but you will have to remove the heatsink first. This will take quite a lot of pressure to depress the clips, so you need to be very firm but also very careful. Similarly for refitting to the new motherboard. You must also remove every trace of heatsink compound from the interface surface of the processor - that is the centre rectangular bit, and also from the surface of the heatsink. Even a small bit of compound can stop the surfaces mating together - I know because I burnt out a processor once by getting it wrong. I found a cloth moistened with meths got rid of the final traces of compound. You will then need new compound for refitting the heatsink.

Legolas 18:27 10 Jan 2006

hi John as said it is quite easy to change over a processor. Just a word of caution if you use a screwdriver to press down on the heatsink clip to release it it is advisable to wrap the blade of the screwdriver in a small piece of material to stop it from slipping onto the MB and damaging it.

007al 19:05 10 Jan 2006

You may want to read this click here

Gongoozler 10:10 11 Jan 2006

Thanks very much for such a helpful and quick response (I'd emailed the various motherboard retailers and didn't get a reply). Just a couple of question: where do you suggest I get some heatsink compound and a chip puller or do they come with the motherboard kit? Anything else I need Thanks once again John

----------------------------------------------------

Hi John. First it's best to reply via the "Add a new response" box at the bottom of the page, that way other members of the forum can contribute to the discussion.

In reply to your questions, you ucan get heatsink compound from any computer shop such as PC World or your local supplier. You can also get it from a web based supplier, but you will then have to pay postage e.g. click here.

You don't need a chip puller. You need a sturdy flat bladed screwdriver, about 5mm wide blade should do the job, to depress the clip on the side of the heatsink to release it, and to refit it on the new motherboard. Practice a few times on the old motherboard until you are confident that you will not slip and damage the motherboard. The chip itself is in a "zero insertion force" (ZIF) socket. This has a lever on the side which, when raised, removes all pressure from the pins so the chip can be simply lifted from the socket. Place the CPU on some antistatic material such as the motherboard is packed in until you are ready to use it. When you fit the CPU in the new motherboard be careful to fit it the right way round, and it should simply drop in place with no pressore at all.

Gongoozler 10:18 11 Jan 2006

A further hint. Fit the processor and heatsink to the motherboard before you fit the motherboard in the case, and with the motherboard resting on the antistatic foam it is packed in. This will give you a firm base to work on, and make it easier to see what you are doing. You might also find it easier to fit the memory at this stage. Also take the normal antistatic precautions.

jas7 22:46 12 Jan 2006

Thanks very much to everyone who answered. They were all very helpful and I now feel more confident to go ahead and buy/fit a new motherboard

Gongoozler 08:00 13 Jan 2006

Hi john. You have ticked this as resolved, but please come back when you have fitted your motherboard and let us know how you got on.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if your computer was supplied with a recovery disk, this may not work with a different motherboard. If you have a full Windows disk, you should have no problem. As you're buying a new motherboard you can get an OEM version of Windows XP click here

jas7 17:11 05 Jun 2006

Hi to all those that helped me before. I finally got round to swapping out the m/board and putting in a new ASUS A7N8X-XE m/board. Loaded win XP pro and thought I was home and dry but when I put in the Cd with the ASUS drivers supplied with the m/board it came up with an Intel m/board installation with install greyed out since it wasn't an Intel board!!!! So went to the ausus website downlaoded the all-in drivers three times and each time when I click on the unzipped exe file there is an error message saying '...encountered an error... So i'm tearing my hair our. I've emailed ausus but not holidng my breath. So please help before I go bald

keef66 13:38 06 Jun 2006

eventually found you mobo after several false starts on models with almost the same ID number.
Look at the bottom of this page
click here

there's 2 different files to d/l separately; parts one and two. Both need to be unzipped into one place and then the *.exe file in part 1 run. Is this what you did?

jas7 16:27 18 Dec 2006

Hi everyone,

BTW i finally did get round to upgrading to an A7N8X-Xe motherboard, thanks to your excellent help. It has been running very well just one problem the bus clock speed is reported by the BIOS and Belarc as being 100MHz not 133Mhz. How do I change it: through the BIOS or through jumper conenctions?

thanks as ever for your help

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?