Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review
I recently upgraded a friends PC from ME to XP and now his internet connection is not working.
The connection is basically a cable modem thats constantly on that connects to the PC via ethernet network card. (UK ISP - NTLWORLD Cable). All sync, ready lights are light on the cable modem.
After the initial start up of XP there seems to be some network activity + network activity on cable modem - roughly 20 packets sent 10 received and then when I go into the details of the connection all the settings are assigned. e.g - IP Address has been assigned, address type is showing as DHCP, subnet mask has been assigned, also the default gateway has been assigned, DNS servers have been assigned. Basically all the correct settings have been assigned.
Then I try to go into internet explorer to try any webpage - nothing
I've tried to ping websites - nothing, I've tried in internet tools to set it up as connecting through a LAN.
I've tried the following to no avail...
1. Pinging the default gateway which is assigned in ipconfig. The result:
PING: transmit failed, error code 65.
2. Removing all windows networking components from Add/remove software - then re-adding them.
3. disabling all the other adapters so that only the ethernet connection exists to the router.
4. ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew to which nothing happens.
5. I've tried disabling then re-enabling the connection
6. I've tried the "repair" connection function.
7. Countless reboots and leaving cable modem off for a long time.
I really am lost for ideas. So any advise on how to proceed with this one would be very gratefully appreciated !!
Try Ashley's suggestion of the Winsock fix but, if that doesn't work, try reinstalling TCP/IP.
To reinstall TCP/IP in Windows XP, right click the network connection and select Properties. Click the "Install" button, select Protocol and click the "Add" button. In the next box, click the "Have Disk" button and, in the line "Copy manufacturer's files from:", type C:\Windows\inf and click OK. In the next box, click Microsoft in the left pane, then Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the right pane and click "OK". Close all open windows and reboot the PC.
fixed problem, my friend had a installation of zone alarm which was not running when i Loaded windows ME so i didnt notice it, further to this I think it messed up during the upgrade.
A uninstallation of zone alarm sorted it.
cheers for everyones help.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.