Upgrade HDD......

arminmckidd 17:18 29 Sep 2009

I want to replace the hard drive on my laptop ( hitachi 250GB) to a bigger capacity. Now im a bit picky on keeping the look and my different settings that iv changed to suit me. Is there a way of backing up my entire look (on desktop) so that when i do buy a new hard drive i can boot up the exact same thing just with a bigger capacity. Is it possible and secondly is there any software out there that can do this?
By the way, my laptop is the Dell Xps m1530, 3GB, T8100 2.2 duo cpu

Thanks all

ArrGee 18:28 29 Sep 2009

You would have to re-install your OS and applications from scratch. However, you may want to take a look at nLite
click here

You may be better off considering an external hard-drive for extra capacity instead.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:31 29 Sep 2009

Clone the drive to a larger one swap over and it will be as if nothing has changed.

click here

Muergo 19:51 29 Sep 2009

Can I piggyback onto this thread? I have just installed a second internal hard drive on my Dell desktop, but it says it's there and "working satisfactorily" but it has not been initialised. How do I do that and link it on to the existing one as a continuation, i.e. original is full up and I want to use new one to add capacity. The new one is bigger, Dell instructions were to relocate existing drive to spare bay and put new one in original bay, connect original back as before and connect new one onto spare strip half way along ribbon cable. This is all done, working as before but no access to new drive or increase in total capacity.

Technotiger 20:01 29 Sep 2009

Open your own thread, then I will come to it and make suggestions ... decent ones of course:-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:02 29 Sep 2009

Right Click My computer - Manage - storge - Disk mangement - right click your drive in there select Initialise and then select format.
large drives take quite a while to format.

Next time stay with your own thread and just tpe in "bump" or ask your question there to bring it back up to the top of the forum page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone