Upgrade of Graphics Card

JeffX 09:22 03 Dec 2008

Hi,

My friend is looking at upgrading his graphics card.

He currently has a SPDSTR A90 AGP 16MB and the monitor settings are S3 Graphics Inc/Savage 4

Any suggestions of a suitable upgrade?

Thanks

citadel 15:52 03 Dec 2008

the pc must be ancient and not worth upgrading.

JeffX 16:31 03 Dec 2008

Actually the PC has been upgraded in several other aspects over the past few years, so the graphics card is out of date with the other specs.

Is there another graphics that will ensure compatibility?

Thanks

chub_tor 16:46 03 Dec 2008

Even something as simple as this click here would outperform the old S3 card. The replacement needs to be AGP, the old one was 4x so make sure any new one is compatible with that.

You can go more expensive and better and more memory but as citadel says the pc must be quite slow by today's standards and upgrading to a top of the range AGP card is probably not worth it.

scotty 17:11 03 Dec 2008

I replaced a dead AGP graphics card a couple of years ago. I could not find anything compatible with the older AGP slots. I replaced it with a ATI 9200 (or 9250) PCI card (NOTE - not PCI express). Performance is reasonable though it will not cope with some more recent games or high resolutions.

Example - click here

However, I would question the value of updating such an old pc when a new base unit can be purchased for <£200.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?