Upgrade display Adapter

BingoBoy 22:58 13 Jun 2010

I need some plain english advice as I am not very computer literate. I have recently bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38 and loaded the Photofun Studio 4.0 HD edition software that came with it onto my PC which operates Windows XP Home service pack 3 edition. I have now for the first time attempted to download pictures and movies from the camera onto my PC. It got through all the download OK went nuts when I attempted to view a movie in Photfun Studio. It came up with the message - Upgrade Display Adapter. Video card does not support required version of windows to support DirectX 9.0 or newer.

What does this mean and how do I resolve the problem?

Dragon_Heart 02:51 14 Jun 2010

Your video card is what produces the image on your screen.

If it's a laptop it's built into the motherboard and on some budget desktops. Other have a separate card that slots into you motherboard.

Direct X is a Microsoft product to help your PC create better graphics etc.

Depending upon the age and type of you video card it will only support older versions of Direct X, Windows 7 now supports Direct X 11

Find out your make / type of video card in 'Devise Manager' and check on the manufactures web site for it's specification.

If your card will support Direct X 9 or higher download it from click here and run. If you are not 100% positive your card will support Direct X 9 do NOT install it.

You may need a new video card to run this software !

Dragon_Heart 03:01 14 Jun 2010

The recommended minimum PC specification for Photofun Studio 4.0 HD can be found at click here

"Display

High Color (16 bit) or more (32 bit or more recommended)
Desktop resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels or more (1280 x 1024 or more recommended)
Graphics card complying with DirectX® 9.0c Graphics card complying with DirectX® 10
DirectDraw® overlay support PCI Express™ x16 is recommended

Necessory Software

If you install the software in a PC that is not compatible with DirectX® 9.0c, the PC may stop operating properly. If you are unsure if your PC is compatible, contact the maker.

NET framework 2.0"

BingoBoy 13:44 14 Jun 2010

Thanks for the info I will check it out when I get a chance at home.

Having already installed the software I am a bit concerned about your comment regarding the PC may stop operating properly. It seems to have functioned OK so far. I have noted that video cards range in price from £40 to £319 and I presume if I was to use the Photofun software for full on editing of pictures and movies then I would need a fairly high spec card. However my main use of the PC is to use it to download off the camera onto a DVD for storage - I'm not really into playing around with pictures. From what I have read if you are into 3d gaming and the like you will need to spend some cash but I have no interest in that so any recommendations what would be a good price/type of card if I need one?

BingoBoy 19:52 14 Jun 2010

OK I have now located the adapter information relating to my Dell Dimension 2400. I have an Intel (R) 82845G graphic controller which has a memory size of 64mb. My PC operates with an Intel Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.80 GHz 2.79GHz 768MB of RAM or so it says under systems properties.

I have taken a look at the Intel website but to be honest it means nothing to me. Looking at the Operating Environment info you linked to I would say that I have a sufficient processor as it is greater than a pentium 3 with more than 500MHz CPU so it seems that the memory size of 64mb is too low.

Have I read this correctly and any advice on what I do next?

Dragon_Heart 21:51 14 Jun 2010

The graphics are provided by Intel's 'Extreme' integrated graphics chipset and uses 64 Mb of your main memory.

Intel's 'Extreme' integrated graphics chipset I understand is not DirectX 9 compatible.

If you look at :- click here

System Board Components
At the bottom right you will see 3 'PCI 'slots if you then look at the diagram above i.e. the external view of the case, you will see three covered 'slots'. If one or more is empty i.e. no wires or plug sockets are there you MAY be able to fit a PCI graphics card.

Check you local computer shop. You should be able to get one for £20 or so, the only problem you might have is getting someone who stocks them as they are 'older' technology.

DON'T BUY ONE FOR PCI EXPRESS !

BingoBoy 22:47 14 Jun 2010

Is there an alternative to this such as buy a new graphics card? If so what sort of cash would I need to spend and what is a good card?

Apologies for more questions and thanks for the help do far.

Dragon_Heart 01:45 15 Jun 2010

You could try something like this click here @ £32 .........

....... but if you visit your local PC shop you MAY get something out their ‘bargain basement bin’ or similar for about £20

You could get them to install it if you are unsure about your ability to do so but remember to ask for the software disks that come with the card. If they fit it they should make sure you system works OK with it.

If you are feeling confident this will show you how to install the card itself click here but read the instructions first. Sometimes you need to install the software first others you install it after the card is fitted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017