Upgrade CPU or Graphics Card?

Air_Man 12:07 31 Dec 2006

I am currently running a single XFX 6600GT 256MB PCI-e GPU with an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium mobo with an AMD 64 3500 CPU and 1GB RAM.

With Xmas money burning a hole in my pocket, I have another 1GB RAM in the post and am trying to decide whether to upgrade my graphics card and/or CPU. Couple of questions:

1) For general use, a bit of photo work, video editting and the odd game of GTA-SA, where do you think my money would be best invested - GPU or CPU (say I've got £100 to spend)?

2) This has been bugging me for a while - can I use an ATI card in this setup? What sort of card should I be looking at with my £100?

I know this sort of thing can be subjective and it depends on what I use the PC for most, but I'm just trying to get a few real life views based on experience really.

Thx

Technotiger 12:15 31 Dec 2006

Hi, IMHO you should spend your money on more Harddrive space, something you can never have enough of, especially if you are into video etc.
Your pc specs look pretty ok to me as they are.
An external usb harddrive would be your best buy.

Air_Man 12:20 31 Dec 2006

Thx Technotiger. I current have 500Gb (2x250GB in RAID 0) so space isn't a problem. Could look at improving my backup kit though - bit boring though ;-)

Technotiger 12:22 31 Dec 2006

Right, hows about Acronis True Image10 for starters then. You would then still have enough for FSX, not so boring :-))

Air_Man 12:42 31 Dec 2006

Makes sense (FSX??). Do you know where I can buy Acronis True Image 10 on the high street (PCW?) or will I have to buy it online?

Technotiger 12:46 31 Dec 2006

Acronis, best to buy on-line.

click here

FSX = Flight Sim X (Ten)

Technotiger 12:48 31 Dec 2006

Have a go at the Trial version for free ...

click here

Air_Man 12:54 31 Dec 2006

Nice one Technotiger. FSX downloading and price-comparing ATI10.

Thx for all your help - the voice of reason I don't seem to have myself!

Any comments from anyone else on the original post would still be welcome for the future though...

Totally-braindead 13:15 31 Dec 2006

Same PC as me but I've got a XFX 7600 GS graphics card and 2 80 gig SATA drives.
You can install an ATI card in your PC if you wish but you cannot have 2 in an SLI mode. SLI mode only works with Nvidia cards.
Unless theres some game or whatever your present graphics card appears to be struggling at I wouldn't bother upgrading that yet. More memory? Been considering that myself but some people seem to think theres not a lot of difference between 1 gig and 2 so I'm leaving that just now. Processor. Well I wanted a dual core one but couldn't afford one at the time and they are still rather pricey so I'm delaying that as well.

I think Technotigers idea is a reasonable one. Unless you fancy something like a new printer or a digi camera. Backups are often overlooked by people and they only realise how important they are when its too late.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?