Upgrade confidence check...

wotbus@ 19:46 10 Jan 2006

I have chosen my CPU and Mobo. My existing graphics card is AGP X8 but my proposed new mobo has only PCI express slots. Nownt wrong with that - but - am I right in thinking I can use the mobo on-board graphics until such time as I can alos upgrade to a more powerful PCI express version?

howard63 20:11 10 Jan 2006

only if the mobo has a built in graphics chip

wotbus@ 20:19 10 Jan 2006

Pretty sure it has - NVIDEA nForce4. Presumable you select this (or otherwise) when you are installing the sofware for it.[sorry if this sounds a bit dumb but my existing mobo has 5.1 sound and I also have a 5.1 sound card fitted which I use. I have been unsuccessful in getting the on board sound working and on top of that there is nowhere to plug in the speakers, but that's another story. Like I said, it's a confidence check. The mobo I would like to buy is Asus A8N 5X and if anyone has one perhaps they could confirm my question about the graphics.

ed-0 20:56 10 Jan 2006

I think you should double check about the motherboard. I think it does NOT have any on board graphics. You would need either a pci express graphics card or the old pci graphics card to get it to display on a monitor.

keef66 21:14 10 Jan 2006

see what conectors it's got at the back. I presume if it's got onboard graphics it'll have a vga connector.

ed-0 21:46 10 Jan 2006

I/O connectors for the A8N 5X click here

Mr Beeline 23:43 10 Jan 2006

or you could buy an ASrock board that supports both AGP and PCIe. Very nice boards and very cheap as well.

Chegs ®™ 00:37 11 Jan 2006

click here

No it definately doesn't have onboard graphics.

wotbus@ 13:09 11 Jan 2006

Thanks everyone - just about got it wrapped up now. I never cease to be impressed with the willingness of subscribers to this forum wanting to share knowledge and help others. Shame we can't move this attitude out onto the streets ;-). Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone